Author Topic: Guide to Manga Drawing Books  (Read 9740 times)

Offline sarah_yt

• Level 8
  • Nazo's Oba-chan
Guide to Manga Drawing Books
« on: October 08, 2010, 01:42:38 AM »
Hey all,

I need your help to find clean books on how to draw manga. I  recently took out three from the library  thinking they were alright only to find some heavy nudity and sexual references
:shockplz:

Does anyone know of clean ones? :curiosityplz: I don't mind too much barbie-doll type nudity...

EDIT:
PS  the ones i took out were:
How To Draw Manga Volume 13: Super Tone Techniques
http://www.amazon.com/How-Draw-Manga-13-Techniques/dp/4766112601 (REALLY BAD)

Manga Techniques Vol 4: Character Design For Beginners
http://www.qbd.com.au/product/9784889961119-Manga_Techniques_Vol_4_Character_Design_For_Beginners_by_Kizaki_Barutan.htm (not as bad as the above, but still with nudity)

Manga Techniques #5: How to Draw Japanese Manga
http://www.mangatutorials.com/book/mt5.php (sexual references)

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 01:54:50 AM by sarah_yt »

Offline Melody Kondrael

• the artist who once was and will be
  • Level 6
    • my tumblr
Re: Guide to Manga Drawing Books
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 09:15:09 AM »
This was my mom's problem also when she was trying to build a manga drawing course for two of my siblings one year for homeschool.

We never did get any general books because we couldn't find any clean ones!

However, if you like Astro Boy, I could get the title/ISBN off my youngest brother's how to draw Astro book. (It mainly goes with the 2003 anime series, but has elements from the earlier manga/anime in it) No nudity...though we glued the last page to the cover because there were ads for other books, including one with an inappropriate coverart.

It's not really a general manga book, though.

I did find this website this week. So far I haven't found any inappropriate content on the tutorial page but I haven't finished going through and printing tutorials for my sister. ;D
http://www.mangatutorials.com/all-tutorials/

So I'll be watching this topic too, my sister really wants manga books for Christmas. :D
~~Check out my cosplay reference site!~~
~www.cosbreaks.com~
Curator of LGBT-friendly anime list. PM for details, not debate. :)

Offline CreationCryptozoologist

• CC- Keeper of Dinosaurs
  • Level 8
  • Hey
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 10:11:05 AM »
'Shoujo Manga Techniques:Writing Stories' This one is really good. It's written as an actual manga story of how a girl is trying to learn to draw manga and an older girl is teaching her. If I had to rate this I'd say it's for all ages, I found nothing wrong with it. (its even writen right to left! :) )
There's also the first book in the series 'shoujo manga techniques:drawing basics'. Borrowed it from the library once. I'm fairly certain that there was nothing wrong with it either, but the second book(writing stories) I think is alot better.
Another book is 'How to Draw Manga:animals' It has people on only 5 or 6 of the 140 pgs. It's a really good book. Pg 46 would be the only page there would be any possible problem with.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 02:31:20 PM by CreationCryptozoologist »
WE'RE TAKING THE DINOSAURS BACK!! www.thetruthgroup.com -- www.genesispark.com --- www.answersingenesis.org -- www.creationtoday.com -- www.dinosaursandman.com
I lay claim to Red's 3758th post Old peep ;D

Offline sarah_yt

• Level 8
  • Nazo's Oba-chan
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »
Thanks for those guys!

I'll check out that website Melody (it looks helpful from the little bits I've seen).

Thanks for those book references CC - I'm thinking of buying them ;D

Hey, I haven't read it yet but thanks to Amazon's "look Inside" tihs one seems ok:
http://www.amazon.com/Shojo-Fashion-Manga-Art-School/dp/160061180X
I've bought a copy so when it comes through I'll let you know. This one is more about clothes (which I really struggle with!)

Offline dancerinthestars

• Count Bunny of the third degree.
  • Level 3
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 06:53:42 PM »
Christopher Hart's books are AMAZING!! I have five or six of them and they have taught my innumerable things that most artists don't know until they've drawn for years. I'd HIGHLY reccommend them...they're about 15 dollars apiece new but you can find them at most libraries and they are worth anything you need to pay for them. :) There has not been any nudity or sexual references in any of the books I've found, beyond maybe a little immodest outfitting of the women...and it's incredible art and covers many facets of manga. My favorite of his is his Shouju book. :)

Offline ChristianAnimeGirl

• Manga-ka on a mission!
  • Level 5
  • "And I got it all on tape!"
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
I use Haruno Nagatomo's "Draw Your Own Manga: All The Basics" which is the first of 3 books (I still need to get the other 2). It's written as a manga story about a girl who wants to make her own manga, and then her "stuffed toy" comes to life and shows her how XD!!! It's really cute. Most of this book features more on what materials you'll need to get (and boy....it's kinda complicated, but you don't have to follow that if you don't want to!), but it also has teniques, characters, and effects. The second two books should have more on drawing backgrounds and people, but this is a good start and very clean ^.^ The other two books are called "Beyond The Basics" and "Honing Your Style" which I still need to aquire, but most likely they'll be as good as the first ones, I'm sure. Buy it at Amazon, though; it's cheaper. I bought mine at the bookstore and it was 20 bucks O.O
Visit me on deviantART!
Check out my VN demo, Eileen's (Otome) Love Story

"He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds" - Psalm 147:3 NKJV

• Level 8
  • Hey
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 04:13:16 PM »
I just saw your post today ChristianAnimeGirl. Wierd...I just got that same book today at the bookstore. It is a good book! But I looked up the other books on the website and the third book is about-"Outlines the essential features of all the main genre of manga,consisting of Schools and Shojo,Bisjojo and Lolita,Boys'Love,Girls'Love,Ladies and"OL,"Family,Pets and Animals,Sports,Martial Arts and Combat Sports,Samurai and Ninja,Historical,Fantasy,Sci-fi,and Horror"(from website)
I'm not sure what 'OL' means but 'Boys' love' and 'Girls' love'...not good.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 04:23:01 PM by CreationCryptozoologist »
WE'RE TAKING THE DINOSAURS BACK!! www.thetruthgroup.com -- www.genesispark.com --- www.answersingenesis.org -- www.creationtoday.com -- www.dinosaursandman.com

Offline thekawaiione

• 다니카 (Danica)
  • Level 7
  • 사랑행복 Love Happiness
    • About.Me Page
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2010, 09:34:40 AM »
I'm not sure what 'OL' means but 'Boys' love' and 'Girls' love'...not good.
I believe OL = Office Lady

Offline Drewix

• Scar(The good one! XD)
  • Level 9
  • The fullcamel alchemist.
    • Stones of Essence
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 12:34:13 AM »
Christopher Hart's books are AMAZING!! I have five or six of them and they have taught my innumerable things that most artists don't know until they've drawn for years. I'd HIGHLY reccommend them...they're about 15 dollars apiece new but you can find them at most libraries and they are worth anything you need to pay for them. :) There has not been any nudity or sexual references in any of the books I've found, beyond maybe a little immodest outfitting of the women...and it's incredible art and covers many facets of manga. My favorite of his is his Shouju book. :)
............ Christopher Hart ruined my art... :/ just saying.

I can't really recommend any how to draw books. If they are from america, go for a realistic drawing one. other than that, I'd try finding something that's translated.... IDK about clean-ness though...
Post Collection:
inkhana's 2200th, 2600th.
catalysts 1000th post
Manga star's 1005th, and 6999th.
ichigo's 100th, 500th, 777th, 5555th, 10,000th and 8,888th
Brittany005's 1500th and 1555 and 3000 and 3888th and 4555th 4666th and 4700th and 5100th, and 5678th and 5777th, and 9666th, 9977th, and 10000!!!!! w00t!
Alpha's 6666th and 7200th and 7777th!
Jemuels 260th
Jawz' 1000th
Sora's 700th
LIN's 999th
Dudeski's 999th
Saphirra's 600th, and 800th, and 1000th, and 1300th, and 1500th.
KittyMarie's 550th

Offline sarah_yt

• Level 8
  • Nazo's Oba-chan
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 03:07:37 AM »
Hey, I haven't read it yet but thanks to Amazon's "look Inside" tihs one seems ok:
http://www.amazon.com/Shojo-Fashion-Manga-Art-School/dp/160061180X
I've bought a copy so when it comes through I'll let you know. This one is more about clothes (which I really struggle with!)

Hi guys, I didnt keep this one (gave it as a bday present) but from what I could see it seemed helpful with clothes and also some faces, body, etc. From memory there might have been some cleavage so wouldn't recommend it to guys but for girls wanting to know how to draw realistic looking clothing for Shoujo (who wouldn't copy inappropriate pics) it might not be too bad. Check first though, and if you do buy you can tear out / cover pictures up. If you struggle with envying girls who look beautiful - don't get this book though as it is a typical shoujo by portraying gals as fashionable, pretty, gorgeous outfits, etc. ^_^ Just a thought.

I've only looked at Hart's animal book (sketched some really ute dogs and cats from that) but haven't used his other ones really. What do you mean Drewix by it ruining your art?
:curiosityplz:

Offline Lady Tikva

• Level 3
  • o hai
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2010, 08:38:32 PM »
Our library has Christopher Hart's How to Draw Manga for Beginners (or something like that), naturally I returned it yesterday so I can't check the content. However, I don't remember any nudity; I think at worst there were pictures of boys in nothing but shorts and girls in pretty modest underwear, and that was to show proportions more clearly, I think.

I don't think he went into paneling or storyboarding or anything like that, but he did give stuff about drawing backgrounds and perspectives, I think.

I'm guessing/hoping Dancerinthestars can tell my if I'm wrong about this... XD
(21:43:23) Jawz: WE WAS TALKIN ABOUT HOW YO MAMMA WAS EDITIN UR BOOK

Offline Xelizarios-Prime

• Castoonist and Hobbyist
  • Banned
  • Level 1
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 10:37:24 PM »
Hey all,

I need your help to find clean books on how to draw manga. I  recently took out three from the library  thinking they were alright only to find some heavy nudity and sexual references
:shockplz:

Does anyone know of clean ones? :curiosityplz: I don't mind too much barbie-doll type nudity...

Hmm... that's hard. I have searched for "clean" alternatives. But they're all by Americans and they have something lacking about their style - Christopher Hart for example, has released his own line of books and copied every single title by the actual Japanese series (howtodrawmanga.com) - and while his books are cleaner, his style reminds me more of Hanna-Barbara than "Hyper Police" (for example). He is allegedly a Christian and yet he copied every single title released by the authentic Jaapnese company, Graphic-Sha. To me he's just another guy cashing in on a fad because if you look at his regular books on cartoons and comics his style looks like it came from the office of Hanna-Barbara- I don't want to put down HB, I just never cared for their material.

I insist on Japanese books myself because TRUE Manga is Japanese by definition. If I wanted to learn how to make art that was Russian style or German style, I would go to the respective source. (to cite another example) That's just the way I am. Go to the source! That's just me.

I used to just get manga books I liked and practiced drawing the styles. NO TRACING! (That's art theft!) But just draw what you see. Pay attention to the style and technique. If you got manga books you like that are clean sometimes they can be a great reference themselves.

There was a series of Christian "manga" (so-called) books about Old Testament stories- but they aren't true Japanese style- they cite references to Korean Manwha styles rather than true Japanese manga- so those were a bunch of executives in a high rise somewhere cashing in on a fad and not caring about playing to the true nature of the art form.

Don't forget- every Christian publishing company- EVERY SINGLE ONE, from Thomas-Nelson to Zondervan to Word is owned and controlled by a parent SECULAR company run by non-Christians who only care about the bottom line and will put out what sells the quickest.  I have FIRST HAND knowledge on this because I was heavily involved with Christian Rock and Metal years ago (during the heyday of bands like Vengeance Rising, Deliverance, and Tourniquet) and I know people who work for some of those companies. They will put Korean Manwha in a book and call it "Manga" just because people will lock onto the popular buzzword and buy it. So I refuse to support their dishonest, deceptive efforts - it's all about bottom line profits.

Not to discourage you but what I have just shared makes it hard for me to give a recommendation.

In fact I would say the Game Plan book (the first- haven't seen the second yet) and the first "Shelter of Wings" book (not sure if there is a sequel yet?) are two Christian books- the only two I have seen (I can't comment on the sequels until I actually can hold it in my hand and see it with my own two eyes- I'm commenting on what I actually know) -- that have really, honestly grasped the concept!

But yeah- if you have a favorite manga and if it's relatively clean- I would say practice drawing those styles.

If you like Clamp or Gainax or some other Japanese studios or artists and you have material from them you find non-offensive that's your best bet. Pay attention to the eyes, the shading, the over all composition.

I used to borrow heavily from artists I won't name HERE because they draw "R" rated material - I drew like them but then tried to learn to adapt and develop my own style. I always start with the eyes when I draw a character. Eyes, the bands of the hair, the nose and mouth, the shape of the face, ears, then go from there. Over time you develop your own style and your own way of doing things.

Hope that helps.

God bless! :-)

« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:51:04 PM by Xelizarios-Prime »

Xelizarios-Prime
That guy who draws the elves and catgirls!

"If I don't have a User then who wrote me?"

Proudly uses and abuses Mac OS X and Ubuntu Linux!
Embrace your inner penguin! Behold the "GNU World Order!"

Offline sarah_yt

• Level 8
  • Nazo's Oba-chan
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 12:08:45 AM »
Hey Xeli, thanks for that post!

Is the Bible 'manga / manwha' you're talking about the Manga Messiah series? (Manga Messiah, Manga Metamorphosis, Manga Mutiny and Manga Melech from NEXT Manga?) - I bought that series and have been drawing pictures from that, but I can't really tell the difference between manwha and manga.

You have a good point about the Christian publishing companies...

Offline Xelizarios-Prime

• Castoonist and Hobbyist
  • Banned
  • Level 1
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 05:27:28 AM »
Hey Xeli, thanks for that post!

Is the Bible 'manga / manwha' you're talking about the Manga Messiah series? (Manga Messiah, Manga Metamorphosis, Manga Mutiny and Manga Melech from NEXT Manga?) - I bought that series and have been drawing pictures from that, but I can't really tell the difference between manwha and manga.

You have a good point about the Christian publishing companies...

Actually I forgot about NextManga - I got "Manga Messiah" and while there is some stuff in there that to me looks like regular Western-style comics they do have a better grip on true Manga style.

I'm largely referring to the series by Tyndale - http://www.amazon.com/Walls-Brawls-Great-Rebellion-Numbers-Joshua-Judges-Ruth/dp/0310712882/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1300006402&sr=1-5

I bought one of those and was extremely disappointed with the art. Then I saw the back of the book and it made mention to using Korean Manhwa as Manga. While they may seem similar to most people, they are really as different in style as Chinese is from Japanese. And from what I understand of those cultures- both of them would take GREAT offense at such an assumption. That's like going to Dublin, Ireland and telling a guy from Ireland he's the same as someone from England! (He'll likely feed you a knuckle sandwich for that!)

Again though- to me it's just people who want to cash in on a popular trend and they really could care less if they are true to the art form -- people who are ignorant and could care less- they just want to sell books. So be it. Tyndale is also owned by a parent secular company also.  You got some corporate bigwigs that get a itch about the fad, they catch a few buzzwords, get some very superficial details about the art style, publish their books, slap the "buzzwords" on their books, and send it to the masses. But the "masses" have very superficial details about the style too.

I once had a guy look at my art and go "That looks like 'Speed Racer'!" (look at my profile pic and tell me my character looks like "Speed Racer!" - phuu--LEASE!) - but that was the extent of his knowledge of the subject was essentially demonstrated in that statement. And those are precisely the kind of people these corporate bigwigs are targeting! And with the exception of die hard fans of any medium like that, most people in the "general public at large" usually do have the most superficial surface details of just about any subject. Example--  I'm that way about SPORTS because I don't pay attention. Yeah, I'm from Wisconsin and the Green Bay Packers won the superbowl this year- but that's all I know. I'm happy they won because I'm from Wisconsin and they're my home state's team. But I couldn't even tell you who plays for the Packers. I could honestly care less since I'm not a sports fan. But that's how the general public is about anime and manga - and especially because they are pretty much a niche market interest to begin with. MOST people who are not die hard fans will only list Dragonball Z, Naruto, Bleach, etc. as the anime they like because they don't know anything else. Your die hard fans will list some of those, and a dozen other titles, or even more that they like.

But yeah- if you use the Manga Messiah book - the Next Manga books that's probably good. They are much closer to the style than those Tyndale books are- and Christopher Hart for that matter.

I will concede though that Christopher Hart's LATER books on Manga do show some improvement in his grasp of the style. If you get his early books they still look very Hanna-Barbara-ish like his regular comic art does.  (Sorry, I've just never liked Hanna-Barbara. That's just me.) And I admit, I actually do own one of his better books.

I apologize if I seem like such a stickler. Just to me if you're trying to draw Marvel Comics, make it look like Marvel Comics. If you're trying to draw French Art- make it conform to that style, etc.  That's just how I'm wired! lol! :-)

Whatever it's worth. Personally I own about 15 of those "How to Draw Manga" books. I just prefer the authentic Japanese resources. And I want to be able to draw anatomy well so I know how to make the clothes conform to the character. The way the shirt sleeves will hang off your arms for example. Just how the clothes conform to the body, etc.  

Let's be honest- if you're looking at line art drawings like that of "nude barbie-like" characters in those Japanese "How to Draw Manga" books and thinking about sex... to me I just have to wonder about that.  I just figure you can either be a pervert, or you can choose to be an adult about it and use it for an art reference and use it in that context and say "this is just a drawing, it's an imaginary character" and that's the end of it. Face it! Jesus Himself said that it's not what goes into a man that makes him unclean it's what comes OUT! So if you look at those books and start thinking about sex, you may want to look at that... seriously!

To me it has nothing to do with my belief that Jesus Christ is the Son of God come to Earth as a man, and that He is coming back again (probably very soon the way things are going in the world, let's face it!)  and that He died on the cross for my sins. Know what I mean? It has nothing to do with my willingness to go, to be, and to do everything He has for me to do.  It's funny, people have asked me "Well would you draw some of the pictures you do if Jesus was sitting right next to you?" -- Actually yes! I would ask Him to screen my art for me! Seriously! But that's another topic altogether.

In my case, I am an adult living under my own roof, I work and pay my bills. My name is on the lease of the apartment I live in. I file taxes every year. And more importantly, I am no longer under the authority of my parents - haven't been for a number of years. (Moved out when I was 19!) If you are under the authority of your parents and they forbid you to own such books, then obviously you are bound to the Commandment "Thou shalt honor thy father and mother". I can't say I always obeyed that well enough myself but that is a consideration as well for a Christian.

Anyways, this is getting longwinded. Sorry. But I hope this helps somewhat.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:43:43 AM by Xelizarios-Prime »

Xelizarios-Prime
That guy who draws the elves and catgirls!

"If I don't have a User then who wrote me?"

Proudly uses and abuses Mac OS X and Ubuntu Linux!
Embrace your inner penguin! Behold the "GNU World Order!"

• Level 8
  • Hey
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 10:23:42 AM »
I happen to like those mangabibles they're really funny. (feels she must defend a good series :D)