Author Topic: artistically unique manga ?  (Read 66 times)

Offline rigningardagur

• Level 4
artistically unique manga ?
« on: Today at 01:24:23 AM »
heya !! not sure if i'm titling this correctly, but i'll explain.

i haven't read manga in forever, nor watched anime. mainly because i like to see things which go against what you would usually see, like in how the story is told, what kind of plot it has, the artwork, etc. i don't usually find things that are that way.

some anime i have an appreciation for and like for their uniqueness are serial experiments lain, angel's egg, and haibane renmei.

if you have any manga you know of that are maybe like what i'm looking for, please let me know. i'm looking for very different manga than the type you would usually see, if possible maybe even some kind of experimental manga.

thanks ~

Offline Theomedes

• Ex (?) Loose Cannon for Christ / They Used to Call Me Splinter
  • Level 4
Re: artistically unique manga ?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 01:49:25 AM »
BLAME! by Tsutomu Nihei is an unusual kind of manga. Very rough, very gritty, tons of emphasis put upon architecture and backgrounds, since Nihei was an architectural student. Not much in the way of story, but as for the art, there isn't anything quite like it. Definitely experimental.
Be not overly righteous, and do not make yourself too wise.
Why should you destroy yourself?

Ecclesiastes 7:16

Online cherryblossom

• Level 7
  • anime is my middle name,you say anime, i'm there
« Reply #2 on: Today at 11:59:01 AM »
Ah blame is really good, they even made a CGI anime movie off of it on Netflix, I loved it and highly recommend it.
As for different art, have you tried attack on Titan? It has a pretty interesting style that mixes realism and the anime art style, also it has some pretty good story telling

Offline FreakForGod

• Forge the Melon Lord
  • Level 6
« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:28:20 PM »
I mean if you want different art.. there’s always Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure..