Author Topic: technology taking over ( less technology challenge ? )  (Read 58 times)

Offline rigningardagur

• Level 3
hey everyone~

i've been thinking quite a lot recently about how technology has basically been taking over. people are using technology a lot in today's world, and it's sort of helping me to realize that i should start using it less. i was actually just reading some things today about how the average american uses electronics around 10 hours a day, staring at screens etc.

also, from what i've been reading... it seems that kids who are using electronics a lot, which include things like watching movies, using the internet to search for things etc., can really impact their brains in a negative way.

from an article~
"A 2010 Kaiser Foundation study showed that elementary aged children use on average 7.5 hours per day of entertainment technology, 75 percent of these children have TV’s in their bedrooms, and 50 percent of North American homes have the TV on all day."

also...

"Further analysis of the impact of technology on the developing child indicates that while the vestibular, proprioceptive, tactile and attachment systems are under stimulated, the visual and auditory sensory systems are in “overload.” This sensory imbalance creates huge problems in overall neurological development, as the brain’s anatomy, chemistry and pathways become permanently altered and impaired. Young children who are exposed to violence through TV and video games are in a high state of adrenalin and stress, as the body does not know that what they are watching is not real. Children who overuse technology report persistent body sensations of overall “shaking”, increased breathing and heart rate, and a general state of “unease.” This can best be described as a persistent hypervigalent sensory system, still “on alert” for the oncoming assault."

the full article is here if you wanna read it; it's called, "The Impact of Technology on the Developing Child."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/cris-rowan/technology-children-negative-impact_b_3343245.html

but anyway, so... i was just kind of thinking i personally want to start using technology less, and was thinking perhaps we could turn this into a sort of challenge. i actually sort of started awhile back kind of trying to use technology less. i just deleted youtube off my tablet and just from that i saw a big difference on how i was using my time.

perhaps if we did this, we could maybe just try for a week and see the results... do things like delete youtube from your phone/tablet, don't use youtube ~ only go on social media and such at night ~ using electronics for something necessary like drawing, researching, listening to music etc. is allowed, but not really things that are going to keep you on your device for an unnecessarily long time doing nothing really productive... we could probably do... like, you can use youtube but only at night / end of the day, with social media stuff going along with it?

tell me what you guys think / if you'd like to do this challenge with me. i just thought it might be good to do, since it can help you be more productive, do things irl instead of spending time on screens, and just effect your health positively in general i think.

and yeah. tell me what you all think.

Offline sarah_yt

• Level 8
  • Nazo's Oba-chan
Re: technology taking over ( less technology challenge ? )
« Reply #1 on: Today at 04:26:37 PM »
Sounds like a healthy thing to do.

only go on social media and such at night ~ using electronics for something necessary like drawing, researching, listening to music etc. is allowed, but not really things that are going to keep you on your device for an unnecessarily long time doing nothing really productive... we could probably do... like, you can use youtube but only at night / end of the day, with social media stuff going along with it?
I'd recommend you don't use technology at night - it stimulates your brain by shining artificial light into your eyes, tricking your brain into thinking it's still day time. This makes it much harder to get to sleep and/or have a deep sleep. No visual technology at least 2 hours before bed :)

Offline rigningardagur

• Level 3
« Reply #2 on: Today at 04:34:02 PM »
ah, we could do at the beginning of the day then~

Online Lizzie Grace the Geek

• That geeky black girl with the Martian hat.
  • Level 2
  • Jeremiah 29:11
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:33:08 PM »
I'll try!
Thanks for the idea, Rigningardagur!
Struggles to unglue tablet from hand
Lizzie Grace the Geek

Online inkhana

• Administrator
  • Level 9
  • Hello! <3
« Reply #4 on: Today at 06:36:12 PM »
It's not a perfect solution, but you can also use F.lux if no internet is not an option.  That's what I do.