Author Topic: Clip Studio Paint / Manga Studio 5  (Read 13628 times)

Offline The Melody Maker

• Slave for Christ
  • Administrator
  • Level 8
  • The melody fades... in! :D
    • The BASIC FAQs
Clip Studio suite
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2016, 12:25:19 PM »
Some time ago, I was taking a look at the Japanese version of Celsys' site -- and I discovered something very interesting.  Clip Studio Paint is actually only one application of the 4-application Clip Studio suite, but Paint was the only one which got an official English translation and made available for purchase in North America.  The other three are only officially available in Japanese, two for purchase only in Japan with the other one being freeware.  All four applications, though, apparently work together in conjunction to make use of 3D character model data:

Clip Studio Paint -- We know this one better as being formerly known as Manga Studio 5, for making still art.

Clip Studio Action -- This one apparently can be used for animating 3D character models, and one can give those animations keyframes to be imported into Paint (if my understanding is right).

Clip Studio Modeler -- This is basically just a 3D modeler application, but specially designed to create character models for use in the other three applications.

Clip Studio Coordinate -- This is the go-between application between Modeller and Paint/Action.  It actually does the work of converting a basic 3D mesh into character data, but also allows some customization of facial expressions and accessories, to name some.

While the other three applications are trial versions for which a product key must be purchased to unlock full functionality, Coordinate is the one freeware application of the suite.  However -- Action, Modeler and Coordinate are only officially available in Japanese, and you have to be living in Japan to purchase a key for Modeler and Action.

However, I'm glad to say that someone managed to make an unofficial English translation patch for some older versions of these tools.  Anyone interested can check out this blog post I found for more details.  Maybe some of you will find it useful. :)

As for me, I have managed to get an English version of Coordinate working -- and even tested out creating a character and importing it into my English version of Paint.  Maybe with a bit more practice I can get it all better figured out. ^_^
-- Russell (aka "MelMak")
"[Sing] and [make] melody with your heart to the Lord." --Ephesians 5:19b

Current projects:
The Traveller's Guide (complete)
Private Property (in progress)
Special Delivery (on hiatus)

Offline Alpha

• An artist who draws too much
  • Level 2
  • I'm baaaaaaaaaack~
Re: Clip Studio Paint / Manga Studio 5
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2016, 02:27:07 PM »
Huh, I had no idea there were other Clip Studio programs. Interesting how the other ones are related to 3D modeling. Makes me surprised that we didn't end up getting them over here, but these patches make up for it I guess. I seriously would love to see them make it here despite not being interested in 3D modeling.

Offline The Melody Maker

• Slave for Christ
  • Administrator
  • Level 8
    • The BASIC FAQs
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2017, 08:26:48 AM »
(I am so slow and forgetful about updating... XD )

Back about the middle of December, Celsys updated Clip Studio Paint to 1.6.2, and along with it they packaged another application which will access a new service of the same name, called Clip Studio Assets.  Assets, as simply as I can put it, will let you browse a whole bunch of extra free materials that users have made for use with Paint.

If you use CSP and haven't updated your running version recently, this one's worth checking out. :)  But just a heads up if you do -- the normal bundle of materials that Celsys normally provided for download from the site to be installed separately from the Paint application must now be downloaded through the Assets application, but you can choose whether to do them individually on demand or all at once.

Current projects:

Offline sarah_yt

• Level 8
  • Nazo's Oba-chan
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2017, 04:11:22 AM »
Awesome!! Hahaha I didn't realise, but I was stuck on v1.3.something. Updating now ^_^ I've perused the assets and they look fantastic. Thanks MelMak!

Offline yorokobigirl123

• God's child, Senior CMer, trying to be an artist
  • Level 8
  • I'm Yoro, an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D in training.
    • Tumblr Account
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »
I'm confused. What kind of update is this? I think I already updated but was unaware
Of this feature. Where do I find it?
my favorite verses are Psalms 139 and Romans 8:28 deviantart: animeiscool1234.deviantart.com
Tumblr: jessmk93.tumblr.com

Offline sarah_yt

• Level 8
  • Nazo's Oba-chan
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2017, 04:33:09 PM »
First check what version you have - you can find that under 'Help' and 'Version info' (or something like that, I don't have it in front of me).

If it's less than 1.6.2, you'll need to update it by going to the Clip Studio website and entering your product key.

After updating it, under your Materials Palette there should be a new folder called 'Download'. Nothing will appear in that until you click on the button at the top of the Materials Palette (something like 'Search for more materials'. That will launch Clip Studio Assets. You'll need to have a log in (easy to create an account if you haven't already) but once you've done that, then browse to your heart's content!

Here's a visual tutorial:
http://lillendandie.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-How-to-use-Clip-Studio-Assets-656855044

Offline The Melody Maker

• Slave for Christ
  • Administrator
  • Level 8
    • The BASIC FAQs
« Reply #66 on: September 07, 2017, 12:31:38 PM »
I just found out this morning that Clip Studio Paint has been updated to version 1.6.7 -- this time with the ability to upload materials to Assets and to view 3D materials from four sides at once, among other things. ^_^

More details here:
http://www.clipstudio.net/en/site/aplinfo/csp/net_ex_old

*goes to download~* :3

Current projects:

Offline The Melody Maker

• Slave for Christ
  • Administrator
  • Level 8
    • The BASIC FAQs
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2017, 11:11:04 PM »
I'm just adding a word of warning here to anyone using Clip Studio Paint who intends to upgrade, based on personal experience...

Do not install version 1.6.7 over top of any previous version.  The reason is that it now installs to a completely different folder, and will cause problems if an older version is present.  Instead, completely uninstall your old version first and then install 1.6.7.  Then you shouldn't have any troubles with it.

Just a heads up. :)

Current projects:

Offline The Melody Maker

• Slave for Christ
  • Administrator
  • Level 8
    • The BASIC FAQs
« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2017, 12:37:21 PM »
This might be the last time I get to post news here before the CM forum gets shut down, but for anyone who uses the Windows build of Clip Studio Paint, Celsys released version 1.6.8 today by way of fixing problems caused by updating to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update:
http://www.clipstudio.net/en/site/aplinfo/csp/net_ex_old

Personally, though, although I'm still on Windows 7 SP1, I'm going to download and install the update anyway hoping it'll fix another problem introduced in 1.6.7 -- 3D models present on a page increase page loading time; the more there are, the longer it takes.  Hopefully 1.6.8 fixes that.

Current projects: