Poll

Savior Story Thread Guide (This tells you where to find stuff in this thread)

The 4 main characters are on the 1st page.
0 (0%)
The 10 temporary characters are on pages 2-3.
0 (0%)
Cutting the optional characters I have posted. Graphics are on pages 9-10.
0 (0%)
Brennus, an antagonist, is on page 11.
0 (0%)
"Quick and dirty" demo on page 29.
0 (0%)
Growth Types are on the 1st page.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Savior Story  (Read 29133 times)

Offline Micah Seven Eighteen

• http://apologiaradio.com/
  • Level 7
  • Married to Song for God.
    • www.ChristDied.com
Re: Savior Story
« Reply #570 on: June 10, 2017, 03:00:01 PM »
I'm really thinking about removing meals in my game, at least, as items. It would free up some item space, for one. I based the idea on Monster Hunter and in that game, the meals don't act like Raw Meat or Well-Done Steak or anything else that restores Stamina. You basically just eat meals in the village to gain unique buffs. I could make my meals similar, where you can only get them in a town and they'd likely restore all SP (just like resting) but could also add buffs of some sort, maybe even unique Food Effects for more effective training of stats when Train is chosen.

Y'know, I've even considered having my meal idea be something tied in with sitting down and eating, like in Grandia. In that game, you can choose to have meals at inns and when you do, everyone is sitting around eating and you can have conversations with them while you eat. I would like to have optional conversation stuff, so maybe that'd be one place it could happen? But honestly, I'm not the kinda person who enjoys talking and eating at the same time so much. Maybe I'd make it one way you could have optional conversations, but not the only time.

I was considering trying to alter my food, to make the SP restoration based on how many calories something gives (I could do Google searches on certain foods to get basic numbers) and maybe the variance would be based on protein, but ultimately, I don't think I should. I don't wanna try to be too influenced by real stuff, because this stuff isn't real and I feel like I'll run into a wall at some point. So, I'm just sticking with the numbers that're used now, which were mostly generated at random. Y'know, unless I change my mind...

I did alter a rule I've had set up for awhile, actually. Basically, the growth types that can learn 5 Skills/FP consuming (or Special) attacks mostly have been unable to learn any Mix skills, just attacks. The exceptions were Balanced and Defense growth types, which would learn 7 and 6 Mix skills, respectively. I made it so now, any growth type that learns 5 Skills/Special attacks can either learn 7, 6, or no Mix skills. The growth types that can learn more than that would be Support (11), Item (12) and Mix (14). They, however, also only get 4 Skills/Special attacks.

To make Mixing more important, I wanted to make it so there are many items that can't be bought at stores, only created by Mixing. Maybe I'll make that MOST stores, but make some exceptions, I don't know. Weird if you could sell items to vendors that no vendors sell, but maybe I'm being too nitpicky.

I've been toying with characters. I'm thinking of making Micah have 6 Mix skills (Malachi is planned with 7, all of the Survival skills, as he's a very huntery guy, while Fide is planned for 6 and Liana for 14 or 12), so he'll maybe be able to make every kind of toxin-tipped throwing knife and then finally Poisondust, but at the expense of not learning Shotgun or Martial Arts attacks. I like guns, but Shotguns in my experience, mainly when I was younger, had a bit more kick than I liked so I am not as interested in them. Martial arts, I actually wouldn't mind learning, I think it'd be very useful, both in real life and in this game, but I tend to focus more on weapons and equipment, so as a character, I don't think Micah, who is based on me, would be skilled in that.
A writer takes pen in hand,
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

He places vivid ideas into the book.

Spoken from the book,
handed down from the writer...

Now the story can be told...

Micah Seven Eighteen presents

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #571 on: July 03, 2017, 07:41:17 PM »
I've finished Micah, Malachi, Liana and Fide... again. Except Malachi, Liana and Fide don't have their Ultimate Training yet, but Micah technically isn't finished with his either sooo... mostly finished?

I've been considering tweaking character looks. I tried tweaking both Sigurd and Finley so far, haven't asked my wife what she thinks yet, but I'll post them here anyway. I think I'll make one post showing Sigurd's previous image then his new one, then make a second post for Finley doing the same. Here goes.

pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #572 on: July 03, 2017, 07:42:10 PM »
Now these would be Finley.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #573 on: July 04, 2017, 02:51:34 PM »
Edited and updated my original post on here, to make it easier to follow what my game is like. It's certainly changed from what I initially started with.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #574 on: July 07, 2017, 09:25:59 PM »
Worked on Food Effects today. When you Train, no matter what you eat, all stats will increase, but depending on what exactly you have eaten (or if you don't eat at all) your stat increases and penalties will vary. I think I've balanced it pretty well, so that, if you're strong with certain stats and want to focus on them, the food you're looking to eat to boost those strengths also gives penalties for stats that're already low for you anyway. If you wanna cover weaknesses instead, to try to become more balanced, eat different foods.

I've also been brain storming story stuff. I've been spending more time thinking about this lately, but I don't really wanna give out ideas because I don't wanna give potential spoilers. Some stuff I came up with for characters before would be the same or similar, but some things might be quite different. I'm also fleshing out relationships and how people meet others or are connected already, etc.

The game is planned to start in Illtyd, but Anwen should become accessible later on. I like this idea because guns are pretty broken and you won't have access to them in Illtyd. It won't be until you show up in Anwen that you'll see them sold or commonly used.

pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #575 on: July 17, 2017, 01:18:37 AM »
Not much to really say as far as anything new goes.

I'm really just building my characters, finally. Right now, Micah, Malachi, Liana and Fide all have different roles and skills from each other, but of course because of the way my game works (and how I plan to allow for other people to make characters according to certain rules) they will share skills and such with other people, just, no one should have all of the exact same combinations of skills (if I end up adding a lot of other people eventually that'll be unavoidable, but right now it isn't) and I don't think anyone will have the same stats (again, adding more characters will make that harder to avoid, but especially in the case of stats, really unlikely anyone could ever have all of the exact same stats another character would have, just because of the randomization and range of numbers). Bottom line is, with the number of planned characters currently, people should be fairly unique.

For the most part (excluding Ultimate training) I have Micah, Fide, Malachi, Liana, Elijah and Hailey (Chika will likely be what her slave name was, but I won't go more into that right now) done. I'm currently working on Alexis. I have updated Chikere's look too, by the way. Some stuff I still need to do before I can get to world building? Some item effect and price changes, monster stat alterations, monster equipment tweaks (to make each piece give proper pros and cons that make them worth considering equipping over standard equipment), skill animation changes and of course everyone's Ultimate training (including their unique items as far as existing at least, though names and specifics about each item can be fleshed out as I build the story). Those're the things I've got planned ahead of me, with story-related thoughts thrown in there at random.

pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #576 on: July 31, 2017, 07:38:00 PM »
Seems I have all of my characters nearly finished. I have names (first, middle and last), ages, heights, weights, builds (their body build, such as Average, Muscular, Thin, etc.), Attacks (which would be the weapons they are good at using), Mix (items they can make), Skills (special attacks, buffs, debuffs, healing, etc.), starting levels and starting equipment. I still need to finish their Origins, which will likely happen when I make up towns, as these people will probably mostly be from Illtyd, hailing from towns you can visit. I even have birthdays, though there may not be a menu in-game where the player can see those.

I plan to make a guide on a website, whether it's my ChristDied.com one or I use Wix or something, that would contain a lot of useful data, like enemy stats, weaknesses and resistances, attack rates and/or patterns, what is learned at what levels by what characters, etc. I could possibly make these types of things in an Extras section, but it would be a lot of info probably, so I think it'd be easier to just have a guide of sorts (which may also serve as a walkthrough for the game).

My next goal? Probably either fixing monster stats or fixing Mix issues, making sure items can be made the right way, have the right sound effects, animations, etc. I may tackle the few pricing issues I have first, actually. I also have to still mess with recovery effects for different foods.

I am building story stuff in my mind more frequently lately too, but revealing anything would be spoilers right? It's not like I've made amazing progress in that department yet, though, but I have made some.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #577 on: August 04, 2017, 05:29:30 AM »
Something that has kind of bothered me about healing numbers for my healing items would be the flat numbers. Basically, say Water would restore SP by a flat 200. What if you have 9,999 SP, though (which is the maximum)? If you have no other food available, that's A LOT of Water (most other foods wouldn't restore much more than that, either, so it'd be a lot of food regardless). So, I've thought percentages combined with flat numbers could be good, but I didn't wanna just try to make numbers up, instead using their stuff as a guideline, so I just gave up on it. That is, until now!

I was looking for anything that restores percentages, and I know they have a skill that restores 30% TP, but I didn't wanna go with that one. I noticed Meditate, which restores HP by 1/4 (it's an enemy skill) and then I noticed Raise and Raise II, which would be 1/10 and 1/2 HP, respectively. So, I'm adding those to not only healing items like herbs but also food items like Water. Now, no matter what kind of food you eat, you should have to use less than 10 items to fully restore SP (or HP in the case of Herbs). That's closer to a realistic number for eating a meal and less time spent trying to use items over and over.

I just started implementing this, but right now, I have Herbs (I have 3 different kinds that restore HP, and these are the ones I'm talking about here) healing only 1/10 HP + whatever their flat number is, but there is also a variance of 50 or 60%, so there's a pretty big gap between minimum and maximum healing. If you make these into an Infusion, they'll now heal 1/2 HP + whatever their flat number is and the variance is gone, so it'll heal much more HP. If you decide to make an Herb into a Powder instead, they heal 1/4 HP + whatever their flat number is, variance is still gone, but they heal all allies instead of just a single target.

Before implementing this, Powder was just plain better than the Infusions, and the only reasons to really have Infusions was in case you had Water but no Stones (Water + Herb makes Infusion, Stone + Herb makes Powder), if you wanted extra healing items because Infusions are different items from Powders so they get their own inventory space thus more healing items altogether, or if you only wanted to heal a single target you could avoid wasting a Powder by using an Infusion. With this new system, however, Infusions restore more HP but Powders can heal more people at a time, so they have pros and cons now. I like that a lot more.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #578 on: August 04, 2017, 11:22:07 PM »
While I was messing with variances earlier, I decided to look at the help file for Ace on that very subject and it looks like I misunderstood how they work. I figured, say you have your damage set to a flat number like 100, if you set the variance to 20% it could end up being anywhere between 80 and 100. This is what the help file said, though:
_

The degree of variability (0 to 100%). The value of the calculated damage will vary by the percentage value you specify here. For example, if damage was calculated to be 100 and variance was set to 20, the final damage would be between 80 and 120 (100 20).
_

This whole time I thought variance made a move weaker, but actually it makes the move weaker OR stronger than a lower variance. Basically, it increases the distance between min-max damage. Knowing this will certainly change some formulas. On a side note, I can understand now why Valiant Edge, a Special attack for the game's default Thief character, has such a high variance: it can hit much harder than usual or not very hard, so kinda gives this good luck/bad luck feel to it. That attack figures LUK into the damage formula too, and the Thief has a very high LUK stat, even a self buff for LUK, so very Luck focused it seems.

I'm thinking Guard Breaks will have a variance of 50, so they can hit much harder than any single basic attack, or they can hit much weaker. Basic attacks went back to 20 instead of 40 like I had them at. I like that attacks like Dual Attack, Double Attack and Triple Attack will have higher variances (25, 30 and 40, I'm thinking), because this means they can potentially deal more damage with a single hit or less damage, but even if individual strikes end up hitting weaker you will altogether do more damage (assuming you hit with each one) due to them being multiple hit attacks.

Bombs may have differing variances, but high variances make sense for them I think. Guns, however, I'm not sure on, and same with FP consuming attacks for any of the weapons. I may make all Guard Breaks period have a 50 variance, or not, not sure yet.

Oh, and something that helped me with understanding the variance thing too is this site here:

https://www.mathsisfun.com/percentage-calculator.html

My usual site I used for this stuff, percentagecalculator.net, it said it was unsafe (and not like it says on here with the little circle and "i" but it had a red thing and exclamation point sooo), so I found this one instead, at least for now. It showed several different ways you could apply the percentage, so I did 100, applied 20%, and it showed the whole 80 or 120 thing as some of those options, so yeah, that was helpful.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #579 on: August 08, 2017, 04:01:54 AM »
Okay, so the way I'm making food in my game is Googling calories for different food items I have and basically picking the largest number available. There are some limitations I make for myself, like say for one thing I want it to be whole, no chopped or whatever, but yeah, I generally go with the largest amount of calories. Those calories are added to a flat 200 SP the item restores plus another 10% of whatever your max SP is. Price is influenced by these numbers also, so ultimately larger numbers would be more expensive items (but food really isn't expensive, sooo).

Different foods activate different Food Effects, right? You tend to have multiple foods to choose from that can activate the same Food Effect, so the way I make them different? The higher the number of SP a food restores, a variance is also added and/or increased. The lowest number will have no variance, next lowest has a variance of 20%, then so on and so forth until you hit 50% (there are only 2 kinds of foods planned to go that high so far, though). With how variances work, those higher numbers can make the already larger flat number much higher, BUT, it can also make them much lower, so it's up to you if you wanna go for a more consistent SP restoration or gamble a bit.

One of the foods I plan to have getting up to 50% variance would be fish. I was initially only gonna have a food item called Fish to represent these, but now I plan to make 5 different kinds. This will make fishing more interesting, as when you fish, you have a chance at 5 different kinds of fish, or you can catch a Clam or you can even initiate a battle with jellyfish monsters (the only way to fight them, probably). As far as I can tell, the best fish you can catch will likely have the craziest SP restoration available for a food item, barring the obviously OP Purrazo Meat (Cooked Meat mixed with a Purrazo Infusion, activates a unique Food Effect that gives the best stat boosts for all stats when Training and fully recovers both HP and SP).
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #580 on: August 22, 2017, 03:46:52 AM »
So, I sorta reworked pricing, BUT, if I keep it this way, it has solved some issues I had with certain problem items and is already all done, so I've moved onto monsters and monster equipment. I plan to make monsters, especially early ones, very easy to read, so you can always choose the proper counter to their action, if you pay attention (or maybe you can also read about these weaknesses in a companion guide if you want, which would likely be set up like a Hunter's Book, because if people hunt this stuff they probably know their weaknesses and that information is made available to others).

I have been multiplying their standard monster stats by 4 for the stats I want them to have, so they will be tougher than the default monsters they are all based on. I want to make them have unique features that carry over to their equipment pieces as well, to make pros and cons when compared with standard equipment.

For example, a Borboros, the weakest monster in the game which happens to be a Slime type monster, happens to have a resistance to all physical type attacks (though it has less resistance to Slashing, which it eventually becomes weak against when weapons of better materials are used, and greater resistance to Piercing, which it eventually becomes neutral against when weapons of better materials are used) but it also takes extra damage from all elemental attacks and is more easily afflicted by elemental status effects, with Cold and Frozen being the element and ailment that's best against it. If you wear a Borboros Vest, you get these extra physical resistances but also gain the elemental weaknesses.

If you compare a piece of monster equipment such as the Borboros Vest to a standard piece of equipment such as the Bone Vest, the Bone Vest has a better DEF and RDF stat, but overall less damage percentage resistance to physical attacks of any kind and no weaknesses to exploit. The Borboros Vest and any piece of monster armor also grants you a RAT boost which standard armors do not, so they can be better for ranged attackers if for no other reason than the RAT boost.

Right now, I'm not sure if I want the Borboros to use Guard Breaks most of the time and start Guarding when they get low on SP (so they can start using Guard Break again) or if I just want them to Guard all of the time. Guard Breaks keep them super-slow (which I think is fitting for a Slime) so you can basically just spam standard Attacks to upset their balance, create an opening and take them down more easily (this seems like an easier thing for people starting out and for the earliest monsters you can encounter). Guarding, however, makes them pretty non-threatening so long as you use Guard Breaks, but even using Guard Breaks (which can miss somewhat easily, either due to straight missing or the target dodging, having activated Avoid when they Guarded), especially with low level characters with low SP (Guard Breaks take a good amount of SP, at least when you're low levels), could make them annoying to take down (which isn't necessarily a bad thing). Guarding could be good to help reinforce their natural physical resistances as well as make them seem like less aggressive creatures: they only defend themselves and may counter you when you attack them. I may consider Escape options for them as well.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story

• Level 7
    • www.ChristDied.com
« Reply #581 on: August 25, 2017, 02:22:44 PM »
So, I'm sorta taking a break from this for now and instead I've been playing around with a board game-esque idea in RPG Maker VX Ace. Though I say that, to be fair, it probably doesn't affect too much because I work on this and don't work on it off and on pretty frequently anyway. When I do work on it, it isn't usually for very long periods of time, so as you may figure, it has taken me a long time to even get as far as I am now. This and the fact that I've re-worked things several times, too.

Anyway, this other thing I'm doing, I just wanted to make a simple board game-esque RPG. Not the first time I've been interested in doing this and not the first time I've started working on one. I'm primarily making this just for me to play with, maybe some friends, but if it gets done and goes well I could share it.

Different board tiles are different maps you go into, where you can find treasure, have standard RPG fights, etc. You get to choose your graphic, your name and class for 4 characters. I've taken several ideas I'm using in Savior Story and incorporating them for balance and to make the game more fun, like the rock-paper-scissors idea with Normal, Guard Break and Guard options. Otherwise, it's pretty much just their default sample stuff.

I was thinking of making this a hot seat co-op game by allowing only 1 of your characters in battle at a time. While on a map you can switch characters anytime. Basically, you'd just have items in your inventory representing each character, using one adds a character but removes all others). Anyway, when it comes to the character switching, say you're getting low on HP, you can switch over to a friend's character and let them play. If you get killed, I could probably make the game check all 4 characters for the Death state and if everyone has it you get a Game Over, otherwise, you'll have another character replace you and they get to play.

On the board, everyone would move as a group, probably represented by one character, so you're not competing with each other. Instead, you'd be working together to make it through. To move on the board, I could just have a random number generated and whichever number you get you would move that amount of spaces.

That stuff said? I don't think I will do that, at least not necessarily exclusively. I want to allow you to have party members in a battle and that system wouldn't allow that. You could still take turns and play one on one even without it, by simply making one character be out at a time and choosing to switch out if you felt like it. Ultimately, I think I'll aim for a mostly solo-oriented experience first, one person meant to control 4 characters, for sake of ease really, but afterward maybe I'll move on to the hot seat co-op thing, maybe making it an alternative option of play at the beginning of the game. It'd require alternate versions of some Magic (if you don't have party members, having Magic that hits all allies is useless, for example) and changing of fundamental mechanics to implement, but wouldn't be difficult.

I'm sure even this idea could take awhile, but I won't really need back story or anything, the player basically gets to insert whatever back story they want for characters via imagination, leaving me to create only a very basic objective, probably something like stopping some powerful demon from being resurrected or some such nonsense.
pressing it to the page.

Imprinting words
onto the page,

Spoken from the book,

The "Savior Story"

Savior Story