Author Topic: Never mind, but here's an excerpt.  (Read 167 times)

Offline Jessie-Jess

• Level 2
    • Give me Him
Never mind, but here's an excerpt.
« on: June 12, 2017, 02:48:03 AM »
Never mind my request for illustrations. I was only asking for something to post on facebook, not to include in the book when it will be published, as I'm not even sure yet if it will ever be finished. I've reconsidered the idea of posting a facebook page anyway.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:32:03 AM by Jessie-Jess »

Offline Jessie-Jess

• Level 2
    • Give me Him
Re: Request an Illustrator for Polar Hearts Facebook Page
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 02:50:04 AM »
Here is an excerpt:

Sabbath morning, dressed in the same clothes as the first weekend, with my hair braided and pinned to the back of my head in similar fashion, I knelt down beside my bed and folded my hands for one final prayer. "Dear Heavenly Father, please protect me as I go out today, especially from the dogs. Please bring me to church safely, if it's Your will. Please keep me safe. Thank you. In Jesus' name, amen."

Checking my bag one more time, I headed out the door. I had read a lot about dogs and the dangers that they posed in Thailand as well as instructions on how to protect myself from them. Though it was a sunny day that showed no sign of rain, I picked up my umbrella from the table outside and slipped out the gate, closing it behind me. Just around the corner, a sleepy looking dog walking slowly out from under the awning in front of the building on the corner. It was a thin, black dog with a white star on it's head. It's head and tail were down, and if it noticed me, it didn't appear to be friendly. I froze. "Hey buddy," was all I could think to say, and it probably came out as a squeek.

The dog seemed to become more alert, as though it just noticed me, and began to growl. It began to slowly advance toward me, growling with its head down in a threatening manner. I didn't dare to turn my back on the beast as I slowly backed toward the road from which I had come as the dog's growling and occasional low bark summoned another to its side. Realizing I was in trouble, I quickly opened my umbrella, which startled the dogs. They jumped back and barked. The two continued to advance slowly, growling and barking threateningly. A man and a woman stood outside their house nearby. There was only one or two houses between us and the studio. Suddenly, summoned by the commotion, two dogs came out from a yard behind me. They, too, came breathing threats. Praying in my heart, I don't know if I called out for help. My mind was certainly screaming it, but I didn't want to further instigate or irritate the beasts. Terrified, I tried to put my back closer to the wall in front of the yard beside the studioso that they could not attack me from behind. If only I could make it to the gate, and through the gate, perhaps I would be safe.

The man and woman looked at each other, and then he stepped out onto the road. "Oy!" he shouted and picked up a large rock. "Oy!" As he advanced toward the dogs behind me, he yelled at them and pulled back his arm as though he would throw the rock at them. He shouted and motioned for them to go back inside the fence to their home, and they did. Motioning to me, he bent down like he would pick up another rock, and pointed to the rock, and made a throwing motion, giving me instructions as best he could through motions, to show me how I could defend myself against the dogs. I wasn't ready to make myself vulnerable and continued to retreat toward the studio as the man drove away the dogs that were before me, threatening them with the large rock and shouts. They seemed reluctant to leave their prey, but must have realized the man was serious. What could be more appropriate than "Kawp-khun ka." Although I said it as I backed past the man toward the studio, it wasn't sufficient enough to express all the gratitude that was in my heart. I wished I had been bolder, and fluent in Thai. Nothing that I could think of seemed sufficient or practical, so "Kawp-khun ka" was all he received, though I prayed a grateful prayer to God for sending the man to save my life, and for the angelic intervention before that--for it really seemed like angels were standing between me and those dogs, even though I couldn't see them. I later learned that some of the dogs that hung out around the wat were dangerous, including the black one.

Offline SuperStarlite

• Level 4
  • Hello!
    • My DeviantArt...
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 12:06:29 PM »
Nice writing, that dog(s) encounter is very relatable to me, haheh.
Awaiting rapture be like

Offline rigningardagur

• Level 3
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 11:02:43 PM »
hey !!

i think this would be interesting to illustrate, and might possibly be interested...

but i wanted to bring some points up which have to do with illustrating etc.

you said you had a publishing company in mind. if so, i'm not sure if they'd let you pick your own illustrator, and also the artist would then need to know what size and format etc. they should be illustrating the pictures for the book, and they would need to know that from the publisher. therefore, you'd need your book to be affirmed by a publishing company etc. first, so the illustrator could make sure the artwork is being done properly according to how the book will be manufactured and such ( sizing, quality, dpi, etc. ).

along with that, i think it would be a good idea to pay whoever illustrated your story. if they're not being paid, then they will easily lose motivation, and also you're less likely probably to get an illustrator on your own if you're not willing to pay. artists put a lot of work into drawing pictures for books and such.

i'm not sure if this is all accurate, if anyone knows more about this feel free to correct me etc., but i definitely recommend you think about how you'd like your book published and these sort of details before making final decisions when it comes to hiring an illustrator.

and yeah~

Offline Jessie-Jess

• Level 2
    • Give me Him
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2017, 10:17:21 AM »
never mind

Offline inkhana

• Administrator
  • Level 9
  • Hello! <3
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2017, 10:57:13 AM »
along with that, i think it would be a good idea to pay whoever illustrated your story. if they're not being paid, then they will easily lose motivation, and also you're less likely probably to get an illustrator on your own if you're not willing to pay. artists put a lot of work into drawing pictures for books and such.

i'm not sure if this is all accurate, if anyone knows more about this feel free to correct me etc., but i definitely recommend you think about how you'd like your book published and these sort of details before making final decisions when it comes to hiring an illustrator.

You're 100% correct.  As they say, you get what you pay for.  I understand budget constraints, but expecting someone to be passionate enough about your work to draw for free is unfortunately not very realistic.  A single project can easily take hundreds of hours to complete, hours that have to be stolen from family, friends, job, etc, and it isn't an exchange to be made lightly.  No one wants to work for someone who balks at these ideas, either...it's a sign of trouble for a freelancer.

In addition, Jessie, if you're insecure about your ideas being stolen, you might be well-advised not to post them online at all.  Most professionals realize that there is indeed nothing new under the sun, and they can proceed without fear of having their ideas stolen, because their ideas are really just new combinations of old things.

Offline Jessie-Jess

• Level 2
    • Give me Him
Re: Never mind, but here's an excerpt.
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2017, 11:35:06 AM »
What I had in mind shouldn't have taken hundreds of hours. I can do it in 5-10 by myself and have a good enough quality illustration. I was only asking for some decorations for a facebook page. That's all.

I'd be willing to pay the right artist for the right style under the right circumstances for the right price, but not at this time.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 11:40:06 AM by Jessie-Jess »