Author Topic: art slumps ?  (Read 133 times)

Offline rigningardagur

• Level 4
art slumps ?
« on: November 14, 2017, 02:08:53 PM »
hey ~

i wanted to ask you guys if you've ever gone through a drawing slump type of thing ? i'm not sure exactly how to describe it. kinda just like, you don't feel like drawing, or you're unsure on if you actually enjoy art enough to pursue it, enjoy drawing at all ? you kinda get tired of making mistakes, and instead of wanting to draw you may feel a sort of dread instead when thinking about drawing ?

just sort of in general not seeing the point anymore. a feeling that you're just forcing yourself to draw?

that's the best way i can describe it. i'm kinda going through this right now, and i wanted to see if any of you have experienced this, if this is normal, and how you dealt with it. if it's a normal thing anyway...

so yeah. thanks ~

Offline calbhach

• Level 8
  • Commission Artist and Tutorial Maker
    • DA
Re: art slumps ?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 03:43:08 PM »
This right here is the up and down of my art life. XD; I go through this all the time. In fact, I'm kinda going through it right now. Having a hard time pushing through my Patreon tutorials and obligations. It's no big deal right now, but at the same time, I still need to get by it. I'm beginning to feel a little bit overwhelmed...and why, I don't know. I don't really have that much going on right now. But the feeling of dread? Eeeeeyeah.

A good way to help ease the burden, for me, is to write down everything that I actually HAVE to do, no matter how big or small, and then start dwindling the list down a little at a time. Don't add much onto it as you go, or there's no point in cleaning out the list. Get it all back to a reasonable state. I am currently working down my list, in fact. XD;

Offline rigningardagur

• Level 4
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:52:40 PM »
ah h, i'm ( in a sense... ) glad to hear i'm not the only one who feels this way. ;v;b

ah, i see. alrighty, thanks ~

anyone else ever go through this type of thing ?

Offline redfur-akamaru

• CM Senpai and Comic creator
  • Level 9
  • callieeileen.tumblr.com
    • Art Blog - Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:18:26 PM »
You are faaaaaaaaaaaar from the only one. Creative energy has it's ebbs and flows for everyone and it can last a few hours or it can last much longer. : /  As far as what you can do... first off realize it's unreasonable to expect yourself to always give 100%. Not gunna happen and it's not a healthy expectation. Secondly, sometimes it takes "forcing yourself" by still drawing if you don't feel like it. Sometimes it's a matter of new inspiration from other artists or environments or stories. (Helps to also create something you normally wouldn't, like a different style or a different medium like paint or video or poetry)

Me personally? Happens a ton. Especially considering depression things.... What I do to "help"? Normally it's a matter of drawing purposefully bad and dumb things or technique things that are just copying with little creative energy or things to express whatever frustrations I'm feeling or things that are goofy to cheer me up. Doesn't always work but it sometimes helps..

Offline rigningardagur

• Level 4
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 10:22:04 PM »
ah h... alrighty, heh. thanks for all that advice ~ ;v;b