Offline The Melody Maker

• Slave for Christ
  • Administrator
  • Level 8
  • The melody fades... in! :D
    • The BASIC FAQs
Re:scam
« on: November 18, 2017, 12:57:30 PM »
I just found out last night about a new free service, started up about a week and a half ago, called Re:scam...
https://www.rescam.org/

Some of you here might know already about phishing -- which, simply put, is a scam attempt by a real would-be criminal attempting to "fish" (hence the name) sensitive information via e-mail from a random or targeted recipient (like banking information, for example) so that it can then be exploited by the sender.

If you receive a phishing e-mail, the best thing to do is to simply delete it without responding to it.  However, if you really want to fight the crooked liar that sent you the thing, Re:scam now provides an easy way to do it. :D

Before deleting the phishing e-mail, start by forwarding it to me@rescam.org and that's all you have to do.  From there, the staff at Re:scam will verify that it indeed is a phishing attempt and reply with confirmation.  It will then set up a new proxy e-mail account with which a very human-like artificial-intelligence chatbot will begin replying to the scammer for as long as the scammer keeps in contact with it.  The bot will purposely vary its delays in responding from a few seconds to a few days, to simulate a real person.  During the "conversation", your own name and e-mail address will never be used -- to protect your privacy and identity.  By default you'll be subscribed to the conversation to keep updated (for your amusement), but you can unsubscribe any time you like (especially if the scammer's language turns ugly, possibly).

The entire point of it will be to frustrate the scammer and waste his time to keep him from trying to scam others.  He'll never know that he's not talking with a real person on the other end.  I think it's absolutely brilliant, and I highly recommend it to any of you that continually gets phishing e-mails and wants to fight it. ^___^
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 12:59:01 PM by The Melody Maker »
-- Russell (aka "MelMak")
"[Sing] and [make] melody with your heart to the Lord." --Ephesians 5:19b

Current projects:
The Traveller's Guide (complete)
Private Property (in progress)
Special Delivery (on hiatus)

Offline simplelovemelody07

• Level 4
  • Call me Silo~ ouo
    • Silo's Tumblr
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 01:52:49 PM »
Wow, that's a pretty brilliant idea! I actually want to see this in action, haha  :onionxdplz:
"...oir is leatsa an rìoghachd, agus an cumhachd, agus a' glòir, gu sìorraidh. Amen." Mata 6:13

Offline The ninja artist

• Aspiring cartoonist and fully trained Ninja Master
  • Level 7
  • ...also D-Kitsune's little brother.
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 11:39:02 PM »
It's like an artificial James Veitch!

"Love can be a delicate thing, If opened it can be forsaken, If closed it can be forgotten, If nurtured it can awaken, If forgotten it can corrupt, If sought it can confuse, If inhibited it can obstruct" ~Cherry Blossom

YOUTUBE! DEVIANT ART! GO!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIFL8IzPy-NYmCvrCmDmuIQ
https://theninjaartist16.deviantart.com/