Author Topic: singing synthesizers ?  (Read 157 times)

Offline rigningardagur

• Level 4
singing synthesizers ?
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:46:09 PM »
heya all !!

i wanted to ask if any of you had experience with singing synthesizers ( at least i think that's what they're called ;u; )? i think vocaloid is a singing synthesizer. i've been looking into them recently and also found one called alter/ego and one called realivox blue.

if anyone has any experience with these, can you please give me some info and recommendations on them ? i enjoy making and playing with music and such, and was hoping i could get singing involved into my music by using a computer voice ( since i can't sing heh... ). also i think a singing synthesizer might have a neat sound, so ;v;b

thanks !!

Offline The Melody Maker

• Slave for Christ
  • Administrator
  • Level 8
  • The melody fades... in! :D
    • The BASIC FAQs
Re: singing synthesizers ?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 01:38:00 PM »
I have absolutely no experience with singing software synthesizers. XD  But, I did some quick research and found a list of some available ones on Wikipedia.  Check them out and see if any of them will work for you. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Singing_software_synthesizers

I may end up checking out some of these out so I don't have to sing to my own songs. ^__^ *has a terrible singing voice* XD;
-- Russell (aka "MelMak")
"[Sing] and [make] melody with your heart to the Lord." --Ephesians 5:19b

Current projects:
The Traveller's Guide (complete)
Private Property (in progress)
Special Delivery (on hiatus)

Offline TheMidnightRiddler

• Nazo: creator of awkward silences!
  • Level 8
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 11:25:53 PM »
May I ask if you want one that simply vocalizes(aah~, ooh~, etc.) or one that actually sings in words(and if so what language)?
Also are you looking for something that sounds more realistic or one that sounds more electronic?

(Reading my signature fills you with determination.)

Offline rigningardagur

• Level 4
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 11:11:22 PM »
@melodymaker

ah h, thanks for that list !! i'll check it out ~

@midnightriddler

well, i think i'd prefer one that can sing / do words, and i'd like english ~
i guess when it comes to the sound of it... i don't exactly want realistic sounding, but not so electronic sounding that it's hard to listen to, is unpleasant to listen to, ya know ? i think a voice that's electronic yet sounds decent would be nice~

Offline TheMidnightRiddler

• Nazo: creator of awkward silences!
  • Level 8
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 02:15:13 AM »
Well, I haven't personally used Vocaloids, but I do know a good deal about them and the different kinds. In terms of English....well most of them aren't that good. Even the ones that were specifically made so sing it. (English is a complex language) Still there are some that are decent at it...if you try hard enough!

First and foremost, do you have a computer to support the Vocaloid software? Before you can use a Vocaloid you have to download a Vocaloidsoftware engine. There are 4 different engines as of now (the voicebanks should tell you which ones they work on) Even then, not all Vocaloids can be used on certain computer systems even if the engine is downloaded on it (confusing, I know). I know for a fact that most Vocaloids don't work with a mac. So if that's what you use, then your options are pretty limited.

Now let's pretend for a second that you have everything, and you want to choose which Voicebank to use.

For the type of voice you're looking for I'd recommend Avanna. A Vocaloid that CM user Sarah_YT has had personal experience with using: http://vocaloid.wikia.com/wiki/AVANNA
Examples:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nhwTl1w7cU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S21AIWMLbw

There are a lot more I could recommend you, but I don't want to overwhelm you and I won't have internet again till Saturday so take this for now. ;w; (But if this isn't what you're looking for I'll try to recommend some more...)

(Reading my signature fills you with determination.)

Offline rigningardagur

• Level 4
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 08:27:15 PM »
thanks so much for all the info and such !! i'll continue to consider this and look into it more. ;u;b