Author Topic: Painting Dolls as a Hobby  (Read 186 times)

Offline iHasPianoKeys

• I'm also on YouTube @ ProtectTheAlphaWolf!
  • Level 4
  • La La Land is ruining my dreams again =_=
    • DeviantArt page:
Painting Dolls as a Hobby
« on: February 09, 2018, 11:07:25 AM »
So, I recently went to the dollar store and picked up the cheapest Barbie knock-off I could find, and painted it blue. It didn't work so well; I was going for the Halo character of Cortana, but it ended up as just a mess X'D

Anyway, I'm going to try and head to Walmart today to pick up an actual Barbie doll and maybe a Monster High one as well to see what I can do with it. I'm also going to pick up some painting supplies such as acrylic paints, sealant and some finer brushes. Does anyone have any experience doing this and/or have any tips? I'm hoping on re-opening up my Etsy shop soon after this. (If I can bear to part with my artwork...I tend to be like Vincent Van Gogh. My room is full of unfinished artwork and projects that look either great or OK, and I tend to never truly finish my artworks XD)

Online The ninja artist

• Aspiring cartoonist and fully trained Ninja Master
  • Level 7
  • ...also D-Kitsune's little brother.
Re: Painting Dolls as a Hobby
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 12:36:15 PM »
You're re opening your shop? AWESOME!

"Love can be a delicate thing, If opened it can be forsaken, If closed it can be forgotten, If nurtured it can awaken, If forgotten it can corrupt, If sought it can confuse, If inhibited it can obstruct" ~Cherry Blossom

YOUTUBE! DEVIANT ART! GO!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIFL8IzPy-NYmCvrCmDmuIQ
https://theninjaartist16.deviantart.com/

Online redfur-akamaru

• CM Senpai and Comic creator
  • Level 9
  • callieeileen.tumblr.com
    • Art Blog - Tumblr
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 04:21:40 PM »
Best advice... Good primer. Primer will save you so many times when you're trying to paint on plastic.

Offline CreationCryptozoologist

• CC- Keeper of Dinosaurs
  • Level 8
  • Hey
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 01:05:42 PM »
Tip 1: Find some good YouTube artists. You will learn SO much by watching them. My favorites are Dollightful, Mozyekto(if you're wanting to get into wig making, she's THE best), and Hextian(He has some awesome dolls, but he also has some kinda disturbing dolls, so be warned)
Tip 2: Use Mr. Super Clear. The is no other primer and sealer when it comes to doll repaints. Not unless you're into dolls with very shiny and sticky faces. And be patient while waiting for it to dry. If you rush it, the face could turn out shiny(thankfully not sticky, though). If you are in love with the progress you've made on the dolls face SPRAY IT. It is basically a save button. If you don't spray it, and you mess up in the next step you will lose some, or all, of what you did that looked amazing.
Tip 3. Use all your mediums. Invest in some good watercolor pencils(I use Faber Castell). Cheap watercolor pencils will not work. I wasted a lot of money while trying to be cheap with my supplies. Good, pigmented pastels are also good. I currently have a cheap set and, while they work, they are not near as pigmented as I'd like. Also get some acrylic paint. Paint I haven't noticed a need to get the expensive stuff. My cheaper paints work just fine. Also you will need little paint brushes. The more miniscule the better. I'm still on the hunt for one as small as you need.
Tip 4: GO SLOW. It is not a fast task. Some dolls take weeks. If you are whipping out a doll I an afternoon, it will not turn out near as nicely as it could if you take your time. I have learned this the hard way.
Tip 5: Plan ahead. Now, this does depend on you and your style of doing things. However if you are planning on selling your dolls, I would say to have at least a rough plan of what you want your doll to end up looking like. If you go into it all carefree and just seeing what happens, you can end up with an amazing doll. Unfortunately you can also end up with a total mess and waste of time. If you were planning on that doll being a source of income, it can be pretty hard to take if it ends up horribly.
Repainting dolls isn't quick, and it isn't easy. It is very fun, though, and it's so nice to have a completed project that you can be proud of. Make sure that you're having fun with it, because it should be enjoyable! :)
From Birdie
WE'RE TAKING THE DINOSAURS BACK!! www.thetruthgroup.com -- www.genesispark.com --- www.answersingenesis.org -- www.creationtoday.com -- www.dinosaursandman.com
I lay claim to Red's 3758th post Old peep ;D

Offline iHasPianoKeys

• I'm also on YouTube @ ProtectTheAlphaWolf!
  • Level 4
  • La La Land is ruining my dreams again =_=
    • DeviantArt page:
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:28:32 PM »
Creation, that is so helpful!! Thank you so much!

Offline yorokobigirl123

• God's child, Senior CMer, trying to be an artist
  • Level 8
  • I'm Yoro, an agent of S.H.I.E.L.D in training.
    • Tumblr Account
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 02:20:18 AM »
Cc knows how to find helpful things yes
my favorite verses are Psalms 139 and Romans 8:28 deviantart: animeiscool1234.deviantart.com
Tumblr: jessmk93.tumblr.com

Offline CreationCryptozoologist

• CC- Keeper of Dinosaurs
  • Level 8
  • Hey
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 07:56:00 AM »
Cc knows how to find helpful things yes
CC just knows the right people  ;)

Creation, that is so helpful!! Thank you so much!
You're welcome. I was just posting for Birdie though. She lost her login info or else she would've posted herself.
WE'RE TAKING THE DINOSAURS BACK!! www.thetruthgroup.com -- www.genesispark.com --- www.answersingenesis.org -- www.creationtoday.com -- www.dinosaursandman.com
I lay claim to Red's 3758th post Old peep ;D